Monday, July 11, 2011

Sizzling Summer Snapshots

As I looked through my June pictures it took me a moment to figure out why there weren't many pictures from the beginning of the month. Then I remembered -- I was relishing every moment of being home with my little man! Sure, I could have taken out the camera every time we played peek-a-boo or flying airplane, but that would have been a little ridiculous. Truth is, the first few weeks I truly enjoyed getting up whenever Jake got up, drinking my coffee (whether it be hot, lukewarm, or rewarmed in the microwave two, three, four times...).

Our morning ritual is my favorite. I typically wake to hear Jake talking and babbling in his crib. "lagabatadoata....." I make my way downstairs where I can still hear his babbling on the downstairs monitor. I get my coffee going, get his bottle ready, put away yesterday's dishes. Pour my coffee and get the bottle and coffee on the coffee table wit the remote. Head upstairs and follow the monologue of my little guy. Suddenly he sees me and all talking stops. He looks at me, wondering if it's his chance to break free or if I'm going to try to get him to sleep longer. When I smile and reach into the crib he, in turn, squeals and smiles at me. FREEDOM!

And thus summer has begun....

A favorite activity we did for the first time was the Dairy Breakfast. Lucky for us we had a seasoned pro to accompany us. Sue and Richard Schoenike were our hosts for the day. With Richard by our side we knew right where to park, and had lots of people to talk with. Jake loved it and I can just see this becoming a tradition in our home!



After the breakfast and checking out the animals we got to head back to the Schoenike house for the grand tour. It was a blast! The house is AMAZING! Thank you, Sue and Rich, for a great day!

As always, I do my monthly pictures with Jake to show his growth, his change, and his progress. This picture just cracks me up! His typical picture, sitting on the love seat. But in this particular picture I feel like he's looking at me as if to say, "You want me to do what, Mama??" Priceless.


As I said before, Jake has always been a good eater. Ever since the beginning he has loved the cereal, the Gerber food, and the homemade food I've prepared. But nothing beats the look on his face when he sees Mama or Daddy eat something and he doesn't get to eat....so we thought, "Why not?" Daddy was eating an apple and handed it to Jake. Ooooh, yummy! Daddy almost thought he wasn't going to get that apple back! Among Jake's favorites are: apple-pear-cinnamon-raisin, sweet potato-pea-leek-spinach, peaches-and-blackberries, carrots-corn-potatoes....he's a champ!


With May brings our First Mother's Day....June then brings our First Father's Day. Just as special in our house! Daddy got cards, gifts, hugs, kisses, and the best gift of all -- Daddy got one day to do anything he wanted. He thought about this, and thought.....and thought.....and finally decided. He wanted to nap. :)

So Jake and I headed north and spent some quality Father's Day time with Papa as well. It was a good day all around!

June couldn't finish without at least one big accomplishment! One afternoon, as Jake and I were playing, he really wanted a toy that was just out of reach. This has happened more than once and mean Mama makes him work for said toy. Well, today there was a new determination in his face and sure enough -- he rolled over to that toy!


Daddy wasn't home though. So, as any good Mama would do, I grabbed the video camera and I waited....and waited.... It took awhile, but soon enough he wanted the directions for Daddy's new Wii game. And I got him rolling over, on camera, for Daddy. What a great day!

I just had to finish with this picture. As we settled into our summer routine it was already easy to take some things for granted. We always have a late afternoon nap. Mom always tries to get things straightened up and dinner started before Daddy gets home. Daddy and Jake get some quality time.

This particular evening I was in the kitchen and could hear the simple words as Daddy read Jake's new shape book to him. Very softly I heard, "circle.....semi-circle....squiggle...." I came out to see my boys snuggled in the living room. Jake was hanging on Daddy's every word content to be in Daddy's arms.


*Sigh* Does it get any better than this?!?
Summer is definitely off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment