Monday, July 11, 2011

Memories of May

Since Jake has come into our lives we've had lots of firsts. I don't think I've seen so many in one little month though! As I look back at May's folder of pictures I see how quickly he transformed. Here are just a sampling of his firsts for the month:

This is not the first time Jake was in his Johnny Jump-Up. We'd had him in this since he was about four months old. He has always loved it, he's swing and swing and swing. We almost thought it should be renamed! The Johnny Swing-A-Lot! Then one day we put him in here and suddenly heard a strange noise. We looked over and he had this sneaky little grin on his face. He has mastered the jumping. Boy, was he a happy camper!


One day after a long day of teaching I got home with Jake. I knew I should get moving. Have to make dinner, have to get laundry put away, have to, have to, have to. Then I looked at my little guy and thought, "Nope, it can wait. I want to play." Jake must have liked that idea, too. He celebrated by sitting up. I set him down to play with him, and he didn't lay down! I just looked at him, with this incredulous look on my face, and asked him when he learned to do that?!? Again with the sneaky little grin! I tell ya....


Now, I have to admit, there is no first about it. One lazy Saturday morning, just Jake and I, hanging out and having a grand old time. But that smile. May not be a first for the month, but definitely a favorite!!!


Here we do have the next "first" of the month. It's hard to see, but I promise you it's there. That's right, a tooth! I had to take Jake to the doctor for a rash he had sprouting. While we were in the doctor's office waiting I looked at him and asked, "A tooth?!? When did you do that?!?" (Do you like how I ask him these details? He always smiles at me as if to say, "Oh, mama....you're so funny!") The first tooth sprouted at the end of May. Within six weeks he will sprout six teeth. Busy boy!



Jake's next new favorite? Paper! I'm not sure what it is -- seeing Mama and Daddy playing with this crinkly stuff? Is it the fact that he can crinkle it, crunch it, and rip it? The funny noises that paper can make?? Whatever the reason, this child loves paper. A favorite activity is when I give him a magazine I'm done with. He can have that demolished in record time!


But, the best memory of May for me at least, is our first Mother's Day! It was absolutely perfect! Nana and Papa came down and we all went to church together. Jake was dressed in his best church clothes, he always is! After church we all hiked back up to Hartford and brunched at the Mineshaft. After our photo shoot and a nap Jake and Mommy went on a looooong Mother's Day walk to finish the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment